Eleven Times Lady Catherine is a Sassy Shade Queen

 Five Daughters Out at Once is now available in paperback, as well as Kindle Unlimited, and to celebrate I wanted to revel in the delight of writing one of my favorite villains as a surprisingly affectionate central figure in this Austenesque novel. 



Lady Catherine is a fierce protector of the Bennet sisters, and though she has a lot to learn about life with such a chaotic set of siblings, she is ever-confident of her own judgement and abilities as their guardian. Very much the proud, superior woman we meet in Pride & Prejudice, Lady Catherine has unexpected depth, and is a great proficient in shade-throwing when anyone doubts or displeases her – and even when she is amused. Today I am sharing just a few of the moments in the novel where her sass truly shines….

 

When Mr. Collins slights the Bennet sisters:

“Let us not be so hasty, Mr. Collins; I should like to have a better look at the Misses Bennet before you vex them with your nonsense.”

 


When Mr. Collins throws a tantrum at Longbourn:

“I see Mr. Collins grows impatient for us to be off. I believe he must be over-tired. My nephew Richard was wont to act with the same petulance, when he was seven years old. And so we will take some rooms at the inn and rest ourselves. Fear not, Mr. Collins, that the other children will play with your things while you slumber – I am sure you shall have your own way in the end, or near enough, now come along before I am obliged to drag you out by the ear.”

 


When Mr. Darcy doubts her wisdom:

“I am glad you begin to understand me at last, Fitzwilliam. It was painful to see you struggle, when you are generally so quick and intelligent.”

 


When Mr. Darcy questions her scheming:

“I shall remind you once again, you poor, confused boy – I am very rich. I really think that alone must satisfy every aspect of your query.”

 


When conflict arises between Darcy and Lizzy:

“If your discontent has to do with my nephew Mr. Darcy, allow me to advise you not to let his manners offend you. I am prodigiously attached to him, but I am not afraid to disregard his surliness entirely when it suits my purposes.”


 

When she receives an unwelcome visitor:

“Mr. Collins, you astonish me. Eager as you were to take possession of your new home, I cannot imagine what has brought you away from it and into mine.”

 


When Mr. Collins reaches a new low:

“You have now sunk yourself further in my esteem than I had ever imagined possible. With any luck we shall not have occasion to speak again, lest my opinion of your character reach a point wherein it becomes necessary for me to warn the general public at large of your profound capacity for reckless and malicious stupidity that may yet prove a danger to those unfortunate enough to suffer a connection to you.”

 


When her nephew stoops to manual labor:

“Richard, for Heaven’s sake, let the footmen do that – there is no need for such exertion, when you do not excel in your pursuit.”

 


When Elizabeth suffers a moral dilemma:

“I have never observed such fastidious conscience amongst the upper classes, and I would be quite put out if I ever did.”

 


When Elizabeth’s friend Charlotte refuses Mr. Collins:

“I am sure your affection for your friend must compel you to rejoice that you shall not be obliged to call her cousin.”


 

When Charlotte declines to confide in her:

“All the other girls have their heads full of stuff and nonsense. You are quite impervious to all the romance in the air, my dear, and I commend you for it.”

 

I have had a blast writing Lady Catherine for this novel, both as a benevolent figure to the Bennet sisters, and a formidable foe to Mr. Collins. If you are a fan of her ferocity, but eager to see her softer side, Five Daughters Out at Once is the book for you!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts